Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On the road again

Yesterday in Manhattan, I had the privilege of attending an open call with hundreds of other actors, models, lawyers, secretaries, musicians, and other fellow unemployed.  I thought i got there early, but there were still about 100 people in front of me!  While waiting in line for about 1 and a half hours, I met some really cool kats with lots of different backgrounds, which is the greatest thing about the industry to me.  We got to know each other hanging there, networked, found out some cool new things to check out, and certainly made the time go by faster than just standing on a city street staring at my Blackberry.  New Yorkers in their cars saw the line of people around the block and were asking what it was all for.  Some wise asses were like "Starbucks!..Unemployment!..American Idol!" haha It was funny and hopefully turns out well!

Afterwards I went to a legit modeling agency to check out what that open call would be like.  I'd been to one before in LA, but New York is so much more blunt and honest; gotta love it.  First, i walk in and there are 7 hungry girls silently glaring at me/one another. feisty COMPETITION! They told me I had to be 5'9" and I'm only 5"8 :( wah wah wahhh.  Guaranteed the next question was going to be: And you weigh? more than 85 pounds? yeahhh....Without letting my spirits get too low I walked back down Park Ave towards Penn Station and immediately ran into a guy who asked me who cuts my hair because it was "fabulous" and a homeless man that found it necessary to comment on my smile/teeth from a block away!  Ah New York, thanks for the positive reinforcements after a day of rejection!

No comments:

Post a Comment